Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-06 05:57:20 PM

oz

Learning To Train Others-LP LOG

Who:

Zolomon- Corporal, Runner and Archer in the LP

Terrance- Sargent and Fighter in the LP

Some various spoofed privates and recruits in the LP

LOG:

Since about mid-morning hares of the second division have been in the training room, the late start due to finalizing the new promotions - mainly getting the proper uniform fitted. Terrence's had a slight delay with his, but he now stood watching a group of privates drill. The sergeant was leaning on a stick that served as a mock polearm, and he was barking out corrections and orders at the hares. "Mind your feet! What in the blazes are you doing there, Harolds? Bloody-well dancing?! KEEP YOURSELF ON THE GROUND! This isn't boxing, wot!"

Zolomon was still getting used to the new uniform and the fact he even got a promotion.The new uniform looks very nice in fact. He walks into the room and watches the training going on, he did have a running drill with some recruits before he came to the training room, got cleaned up and came down.

"No-" The sergeant splutters at hares again, incredulous. "Don't leap like a bloody frog!/ESPECIALLY YOU, HAROLDS!/" With a sigh Terrence mutters much quieter as he rubs his temples, "I daresay you lot need to work on that..." Turning away from the group of four, he spies the corporal, waving him over with a wry grin. "So, corporal, how was the run this morning?"

"The run went fairly well, had one recruit keep falling flat on their face" Zolomon sighs as she finds a chair and sits down, he did yell at the recruit and then the recruit cried, it ended where he just told them to go back and do something else instead. "But otherwise, fairly good morning, wot"

Though nodding at Zolomon's words, the sergeant's attention seems to be on the group of four hares again. "Did he- bah, never mind it." Temporally giving up hope for them, Terrence turns back to the corporal, an eyebrow raised. "Kept falling, wot? Do you think it could've been anything besides the recruit's, say, clumsiness?"

Zolomon shrugs, "I don't know, maybe not used to stand. I admit it did take some getting used to for me too at first, but one must know how to run on sand, even and even uneven land and may be wise to make sure hares are good swimmers as well"

"Maybe. Sand is the devil..." The sergeant replies, leaning on his stick. "And water's worse." Terrence looks thoughtful, mulling the words over. "Do you know if their boots fit them properly?"

Zolomon hmm ms "May be something good ta check maybe, didn't think of it." He has some things to learn, and he will learn them, the leadership role is new after all but no one is perfect their few days.

Terrence rolls his shoulders, loosening them. "Might be worth making sure in the future, wot." The group of four hares had started to look better, having stopped using jumping as a ways to dodge. "If you want my advice, Zolomon," Peering over his spectacles, the sergeant offered a small smile, "I'd suggest not being all that hard on your squad - you still have to be their friend, after all."

Zolomon listens as he nods in reply "Their..friend, got it sur. I suppose they would listen better but one does still have to be, somewhat hard on them at times I think"

"Yes, at times." Terrence replies, gesturing for the corporal to follow him over to observe another group of hares practicing on dummies. "They absolutely should listen to you and that shouldn't be a problem with any private, wot. However that doesn't seem to be the case - in the marsh there was quite a bit of lets say /struggle/ for half the privates to listen - yourself included, wot." He chuckles, "Don't forget that you are still a part of them, technically at least."

Zolomon frowns, yes he remembers getting a little too caught up in the game, but at least he did get away and helped them know where cages were, how far a food storage was and the main place where toads seem to hang out. He nods "Yes.perhaps a little too into the find what was needed game, but your right." He adds after a moment "We, got lucky I believe. It could have ended worse than it did. Its very possible I could easily be not even standing here and instead be in the dark forest. Ambushes can happen anywhere really. I. I remember one when me and the Defender group came to the mountain to get help, we didn't know we were followed by assassins and the assassins came really early in the morning.I had.left the ship to do something, forgot wot now and came back to see the others captured.I likely would have charged in and tried ta save de day but lucky his Lordship and a couple hares were on the beach at the time and stopped me, lucky no one died in that, again.luck but luck doesn't always bally well happen"He frowns at another memory, he wasn't there but had read a report left on a table." Even...higher ranking hares can be ambushed"

The sergeant nods here and there at Zolomon's words, his eyes on the training hares. At that last bit, however, he snorts. "Indeed they can, wot!" Terrence points with his stick to the practicing hares in front of them. "High ranking or not, the best way to deal with ambushes is proper coordination and cooperation. An infantry square has a higher chance of outlasting the enemy even when surrounding, wot."

Zolomon listens and watches the training, "True sur. I would say let's hope for no ambushes to happen but that's why it pays to always be alert. Be alert even on days off I say"Not that he will likely have as many days off now that he is a Cordial. "I am likely gonna be in bed late due to some paperwork later, nothing too major of course."

"I'm sorry to say that late nights are going to be a common occurrence for you." There's a sympathetic look on Terrence's as he turns to the corporal. "And it's just going to get worse and worse the more you climb, wot." The hares in front of them had finished, exhaustedly staggering over towards the water barrel. "As for alertness - well, I don't think you need worry all that much about that, least ways not here in the mountains, wot!"

Zolomon smiles "I know not here but outside. I still stay alert though, just in case never know when..." And his one ear catches a gasp as he manages to spin around and catch a recruit before they fall face forwards to the floor, another recruit backs away and mutters a sorry for bumping into a stand where a barrel knocked over and bumped into the private, who bumped into Solomon almost.Lucky the barrel didn't have too much water in it, maybe 1/10th of the way full and...well know its less."You ok there Jade?" He gets a nod and a muttered sorry again. As well as a sorry from the other private that made the barrel fall in the first place.

Terrence watches the whole thing while suppressing a laugh. "Woah there, buckos -and good catch, corporal." Walking over to peer into the barrel, he adds, "I daresay this needs refilling now, wot. Any volunteers?" The sergeant turns back to face the other hares, his waiting for any takers.

The hares seem to look at one another and grow silent. Solomon speaks up "Ok.maybe the one that knocked it over? Seems fair right?" He gets a sigh and a nod "Right sur." It seems the barrel will be filled back up soon, Zolomon meanwhile is still getting used to being called sur, it wasn't something he really been called when he was a Private First Class by any recruits or even Privates, just today has the sur title kicked in. He smiles and nods to the Sergeant "Think that worked out good."

"Seems so, wot." The sergeant nods in approval to Zolomon, watching the water fetcher leave. "Come on, corporal, time for you to train with a squad." Terrence starts toward the largest area for training, calling over his shoulder, "Jade, Harolds, come along to."

Zolomon nods as he follows "Yes sur" There will always be someone to say sur to, the only one who never has to say sur to anyone, that was here anyways, was the Badger Lord. "So where to?"

Waving another two hares over, the sergeant stops on the edge of the training ring. "Right here, Zolomon. Practice getting these four," He gestures to Jade, Harolds, and the two newcomers, "Into formation, line, marching, and whatever else you think to do - grab those mock spears, in the barrel there." He points to it were it sits by the ring, full of sticks wrapped in cloth for padding. "And practice your jabs, wot. Be quick as well."

Zolomon nods as he listens to what is said and looks to the 4 hares who seem to wait on some instructions "Alright." He gets a spear and spins it once and grins, he then clears his throat, serious time "Ok.let's do this get into a line of two each first, be quick now and hold the spears like this" He does know how to hold a spear and shows how to back up and jab forwards" A simple weapon, easy enough ta learn, maybe not always the best in a large fight but when one doesn't have a blade it can still save a life and block another weapon."

"Personally, corporal, I'd argue a solid line of spears can't be beaten in a large fight, wot!" Terrence chimes in, leaning on his stick as he watches, "But carry on." Some of the other hares who had recently finished their exercise come to to spectate.

Zolomon nods, he is learning as he really hasn't used a spear except maybe once." Ok.it is true a spear can cause a lot of damage to an enemy." He nods for one of them to stab at him, and he blocks the spear and smiles "Also good to know how to block a weapon and then quickly aim and stab again." He says this as he steps back, ok he needs some work on formation as it was usually a point on where he would go, this is the first of making sure others know where to go and making sure they do so correctly.

Terrence nods. "Damage and /reach./ Corporal, try working together, wot-" the sergeant stands up straight, setting his spear against a table. "Cover each other, guard your squad-mates sides and backs." he waves a few hares from those watching to himself. "I'll send in another group for you lot to spar with once you get the hang of working together - and leading them, Cpl. Zolomon."

Zolomon nods, he takes a deep breath and looks to the hares in the group "Ok, back-to-back and spears out, always stay alert to things around ya. Your need to listen and keep your eyes open at all times when in a fight or battle." He smiles as he starts to get the hang of it. He can get used to this, it will take some trial and error but no one is perfect at something when they first start. Beasts try and try again and practice a lot.

"Try to move around with that, wot!" The sergeant suggests, turning to the hares around him. They're discussing something that Zolomon and the others in the ring can't hear. Terrence nodding, walks over to the barrel of weapons and picks out for himself a shorter stick with a crude hilt - a wooden sword of sorts, wrapped up in cloth and padding. He hasn't set paw in the area yet.

Zolomon nods, he is paying attention to getting the 4 hares he is in charge of to work together, he sighs once and then tries again and smiles as it starts to work "That's good, we are doing better guys, remember you help one another and protect one another from threats in a fight.we are a team."

The sergeant and the hares he picked out are now standing just outside of the area, all holding mock-clubs or swords: it seems the goal is to imitate most vermin groups. Terrence, offering a small grin to the corporal, raises his padded-blade up, uttering a single word. "CHARGE!" He swings the stick down, pointing towards Zolomon and the four hares working together. The sergeant's group of about six in all rush forward with almost no coordination on purpose - they're sticking to their act as vermin. One hare with what appears to be a stick with a pillow on top of it runs ahead at Zolomon's group, raising the fake weapon high. "YAAAARGH!" He yells, swinging down, trying to break the five hares apart. The rest of Terrence's group are about two yards behind, pounding towards the corporal and others with yells of their own.

Zolomon acts fast and blocks one of the wooden swords, 3 of the 4 hares do fairly well blocking and even knock backwards a couple of the vermin acting hares. One hair falls down and earns a tap to the chest, in a real battle he would be dead. Solomon steps closer to the 3 hares left as the one that was mock killed is unsure what to do and crawls away and sits on a chair to watch and frowns, likely glad it's not a real battle with real vermin.

After the initial charge in which the hare with the club and the one who had mocked-killed the private had been taken out by the corporal's group, those left of Terrence's 'Vermin' back away, keeping some distance between themselves and Zolomon & co. "Come on, you lot!" The sergeant barks at his four remaining hares, "There's only four of them! CHARGE!" There's an answer of, "YAAAR!" From the others before once again the sergeant rushes forward, this time leading. His mock-blade is point outwards, and he jabs at the center of Zolomon and the three others.

Zolomon dislikes close fighting, even when he knows this is a mock training fight. He is still focused and ready to protect the 3 hares with him as if it was a real fight. He blocks a spear and a blade just barely with his spear.He nods to the ones with him "Come on now.together! Work together!" This seems to help the hares on his side to better block and sidestep any attacks and point out the spears as one fighting beasts when they are 3. Zolomon helps them as well, quick on the foot paws as he does avoid most hits, one tap on the shoulder but the shoulder doesn't count as a death move, a tap to the neck or chest would though as he aims to do that to whomever is closer. He also tries to make sure he knows where everyone is.

The corporal efforts pay off - only two 'vermin' remaining are Terrence and another. The hares who had been tapped move to sit next to the others outside the ring to watch the mock-battle play out. "Well, looks like this is the end, eh?" The sergeant muttered grimly to his fellow, who nods. "Try to go left and I'll go right, wot!" The two split, and, true to his word, Terrence circles around to right, trying to get behind Zolomon and the others - the remaining vermin does the same on the left.

Zolomon keeps focused, ever focused as there is him and 3 left in his group. Wait make that him and two as he nods and blocks another hit "Work.as...one"He repeats and him and the 2 hares with him do so, working together to get at least one -vermin- out.

And the sergeant goes down, falling to the jabs of Zolomon and the others. Terrence rolls away from them, exciting the arena to join the other 'dead' hares. However, even as he does so, the last of the sergeant's 'vermin' leaps at the backs of the corporal and those close, swiping wildly with a mock-sword, letting out one last war cry, "YAAAARGH!"

Zolomon blocks one as they were about to -take out- one of the hares he has left, A frown forms as he sees and feels the spear on his throat and sighs, leaving the two hares that was with him "Work together....in battle even if a group leader.An  official goes down you do not panic, panicking is not good"It seems to help as the two get back to finish off the remaining vermin in this mock fight and then sit as they surely look very worn out now.

Their last opponent hits the ground with a loud grunt, beset as he is with the two spears. Terrence stands from where he had been sitting crossed-legged and taking a drink of water, offering it to Zolomon as the corporal comes out. When the fight's over, the sergeant claps his paws together. "Alright then, good show and all that, wot." He steps into the ring, looking around at the hares gathered. "Now, what do you think about what just happened, eh?"

Zolomon speaks "A lot of action, I think at first it was a little chaotic, but then we started working as a team" One hare frowns "Little..scary, but not as much suppose because it wasn't like a real..fight"

"Yes," Terrence says, nodding, "I will say more of you went down than I thought would, wot. Certainly was better once you started working together." He turns to face Zolomon and the rest. "There's a technique with spears that usually can help reduce losses and I'd wager scariness, wot." He smiles. "Most basic form of it is two ranks of hares shoulder to shoulder with spears, with the front line kneeling to brace for a charge."

Zolomon nods as he listens to Terrance "I am learning, slowly and likely will learn more as I go..I mean no one is perfect at something when they first start out"He chuckles "Even leaders are not perfect at first, they learn as well"

"Well corporal," The sergeant steps out, heading towards the water barrels, "I don't expect you to be perfect, wot! Just competent." He adds with a wink. Taking a long draft of water, Terrence looks at all the hares around him. "Alright then, think that's enough today - we can start again tomorrow with a sunrise run, eh?" The groans of those gathered echo throughout the room.

Zolomon chuckles, he is use to rising with the sun, just not so much sleeping when the sun goes down much and likely hardly at all now. "Well breakfast is always best after a good run and some training I always say"

Last edited by oz (2019-11-06 05:58:18 PM)

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

Board footer