Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-23 09:35:05 PM

Ol'random
Website

Sorcery and Battle Plans - LP 10/23/19

Pvt. Isla,
Cpl. Terrence,
Mj. Varus,
and PFC Zolomon.
(+ Several Toads but you weren't here for them, were you now?)

After Zolomon's escape and return...

Following her, quite frankly, traumatizing encounter with the village 'witch doctor', Isla has been quiet. The circus performer turned military upstart is curled in the corner of her wooden cage, cradling her injured arm with wide-eyed disbelief. She can't look at the wound for too long, because every time she tries, her head goes weak and woozy and her blood runs too cold - she can't afford to pass out. She's afraid to sleep - but her brain is still whirring. So, maybe magic tricks weren't the best approach... But what else does she have? She can't fight like Dom, she knows death waits on that path... Dancing? No, she knows that's a dead end before she even considers it. Instead, she pushes herself to her feet. "Um. Hello?" She hollers at the guards.

Having lost faith in their hero who failed to kill the now escapee (especially now that no new fights had been arranged), some toads had migrated to watch what they had heard is a hare magician among the captives. Several look through the bars down at the quiet creature in the corner of the pen, as if expecting something to happen. "Glug..." One mutters as it turns to go, though the others seem intent on sticking it out. One simply doesn't have many options in terms of entertainment in the swamps, so they'll take what they can get. In an effort to make something happen, an amphibian tosses a small stone at Isla with a croak.

"Glug." Isla repeats back, wincing as the rock sails her way, but it doesn't strike her. Favoring her mildly-flayed arm, the hare stoops to pick up the rock, holding it up between her forefinger and thumb, her expression tired. "Now you see it." She mutters, her voice becoming distorted as she struggles to stifle a yawn. "Now..." With a flourish of paw over paw, the exaggerated motions hiding the sleight of hand, the rock "disappears". "You don't." There is little of her usual bravado and showmanship to it, but she is happy to keep up the charade. It's her only lead, right now - though a stroke of brilliance is not forthcoming.

The display satisfies a solid half the toads gathered around, and the one who had been leaving turns when the hare responds. To croaks of encouragements, it picks up a rock of its own, seeing that the previous one managed to work. With a sly grin it quickly snaps its wrist forward, hurling the stone with more force into the cage. The other toads croak excitedly, even the ones who weren't all that impressed by her, with some wondering if the hare will put a curse or something worse on the toad. "Glurg! Har-Glo...?"

Another rock. Isla works to keep a groan from escaping. Her arm hurts too badly to focus on petty annoyances - instead, she picks up the second rock, and holds out a paw. "One more! Uh... Glug glug?" She asks, as, with another set of flourishes meant to do nothing more than distract attention, she procures the first rock from "midair". "I have two!" She holds them up in one paw, while holding up two fingers on her other. "I need -" She holds up a third finger. "Three! One more!"

"Glug, GLUG!" The toads respond, and the hare gets two more rocks than she asked for, with at least one aimed at her arm. She has the attention of the onlookers, now, and every toad's eyes about the pen are on her, waiting to see what she'll do. "Har Kilp, glug, glo-glog?"

"OUCH! You -" She chucks the extra rock back at the offending toad, her vision momentarily blurred by unwanted tears - it hurts. It hurts so bad. She lost a toe to frost bite as a dibbun, and even that didn't hurt like this does - a dull, constant ache. It burns, which she is dimly aware is likely a sign of an infection taking hold to the exposed flesh of her arm. She's sitting in mud, after all. That feeling returns, the deep and unwavering certainty that she will die here - but she compartmentalizes it. It's a show, Isla. It's all a show, so play your part. "Be amazed!" She boasts, slowly beginning to toss the rocks. They are different sizes, so it takes a moment for her to wrap her head around the momentum, the weight - but she does. Slowly, the juggling begins, gaining speed, until the rocks orbit in a clean, perpetual circle about her paws. It's not magic, but if they've never seen it before - it might be close enough. "Oooooh!" She croons. "Ahhhhh!"

The rock misses its target and instead smacks a toad behind it, and croaky chuckles break out from the spectators. A few toads laugh even more at her discomfort, picking up more stones to toss at the poor hare - but they stop to stare in awe as the juggling begins. "Glog-Kilp...?" is heard, muttered, from the amphibians. Soon, as she continues, the toads start chanting as they leap excitedly in the air, "Kilp! Kilp! Kilp!" Causing the hare more harm is forgotten, for now, and all those gathered are enamored with the circle.

Away across the marshland at the patrol camp, Terrence sits within a tent, going over the written report of Zolomon's account. The corporal dips a quill in a traveling bottle of ink as he makes notes and draws up ideas - many of which are rather unpractical, but its not like the hare's wasting his time, waiting as he is for orders or even just more news at this point.

"Yes! Klip!" Isla encourages, slowly raising one foot from the mud. One legged juggling! If only she had the rola-bola, she'd be really impressive. But, alas, her resources are limited. Her talents may be varied and useful for a traveling troupe-hare, but as a Long Patrol fighter? Well. She slows her momentum and tosses the rocks skyward, one at a time, and catches them in turn. A low, sweeping bow is awarded to the toads watching... Think, Isla. Think.

Varus steps into Terrence's tent. "Keepin' up th' papahwork, Corporal? Good show, Lad. Is this wot Zolomon told us?"

The toads, for their part, cheer as she bows, their croaks and shrieks almost painful to hear. "KILP, KILP!" They begin to chant, as if wanting an encore. "Glurg, Har-glo?" Says the toad who had tossed the second stone to its fellows with a cruel smirk. It bends down, grabbing another rock, and, while still the others cheer, it throws the rock at Isla, hard. CROAK.

The corporal looks up, setting the quill aside and standing to salute. "Yes, sah, though I wasn't really doing paperwork, wot." He waves a paw at the notes, saying, "Mostly just ideas I was jotting down."

CRACK! The stone connects with Isla's head, right at the base of her ear, and a blossom of red blooms upon impact. "Ack!" She squeaks in pain, stumbling backwards, stunned by the hit. "Why you..." The hare gives a snarl, but pauses. It's what they want - and she can't give in to those basal urges. There's a way out of this, there has to be, and she isn't going to find it if she's been stoned to death. "If... If you liked  that -" She sways as she stoops to pick up the new rock, streaked with her blood, and adds it to her clutch. Juggling four is no issue, but after 6, she is useless... But, for now, she is content keeping them entertained with juggling, the whirr of red visible every several seconds as the bloody rock reaches the apex of its perpetual arc... There's a way ouf of this, she reminds herself. She just needs to find it.

Most of the toads turn on the one who'd hurt the magician, letting out low growling croaks. "Glo-Gush, Gush Glo-Har-eck." The one with the sly smirk backs down, then, cowed, and the amphibians go back to watch the juggling, content.

Varus casts a glance over the parchment. "Ideas, Corporal? Battle plans? Fleet formations? Grocery lists?"

"Eh, a bit of that first one, Majah." Terrence responds with a shrug. "The best thing I can think of is when we go in to get the captives, wot, is that a few runners with hatchets can try to take down the pen, if it's made of woods like Pvt. Zolomon said, sah. Though..." He allows himself a small grin, "Maybe a grocery list is in order if we continue to eat oatmeal like we do, wot wot, sah."

Varus nods, still looking over the sheet. "I'm surprised Zolomon of all beasts managed t' escape, wot... 'E's not th' most... Experienced of Patrollahs, wot."

"Sometimes acts like it, though, sah..." Terrence quickly mutters under his breath, before pointing down at the report. "Even so, Majah, if he got a good look at were our hares are being kept, that helps us immensely. Perhaps a main group can go to the far side of the village away from the cages, wot? Cause a lot of noise and maybe try setting fire to a few toad-huts and whatnot, and others can hack the captives free. Only a basic idea, though, Sah."

Varus harrumps. "I don't suppose Zolomon's report mentions anythin' about Private Dominik, or that strange matin' ritual or sacrifice or wotevah it was th' othah night?"

Terrence stops, thinking for moment, "Er, yes and no - he did mention Pvt. Dom, wot, but nothing of a mating ritual, thank goodness." The corporal starts ordering his papers, corking the ink bottle beforehand. "Dom's being kept in a cage all by himself, wot! Apparently he fights toads the like for the slimly creatures. Should note though, Sah, the report wasn't written by Zolomon but one of the staff officers present for his account."

Varus hmms, nodding his head. "I see... That explains a few things, wot. I may 'ave been a bit... Premature ta think it was a matin' ritual, wot..."

"Maybe, Sah, maybe." Terrence gives an awkward little laugh, rubbing the back of his neck. "Er, here -" the corporal picks up the report, offering it to the major. "It's a short-hand copy of the official thing, Sah, but it's good enough, if you want to look over it, wot. Pvt. Dom's been busy, apparently, and I think all the noise might be from him and his 'matches', sah."

Varus accepts the stack of papers, and looks it over. Terrence has good pensbeastship. "And wot of you, Corporal. Are ya able t' stand up without assistance now?"

Tapping his leg, Terrence nods. "Yes, Sah. Well  -it's still in a bit of splint, but I'm recovering well enough to walk with ease now, wot." The corporal's face is still heavily bruised around the stitches, however. "I'll be in top shape soon, Majah, don't you worry about me, wot wot."

Varus looks over the younger hare. "Y' look like death, Lad. 'Owevah, I've not yet regretted you bein' 'ere, even if Jinora would rathah y' remain at the Mountain..."

"Well, sah, my majah's yet to give an order to return." A rueful grin is on Terrence's face. "Until she does, standing orders are to stay around here, wot. And I stopped feeling like death a few days ago, Sah." Chuckling, he adds, "Can't help how I look, now can I, eh, wot?"

Zolomon groans, he had been in the healers tent recovering from his little adventure with the toads, he sits up a little and looks around and rubs his head as if he has a headache.

Varus is still talking to Terrence. "Well, per'aps I ought t' go see if Zolomon 'as woken up again. 'E's in mah patrol, so 'e's mah responsibility, wot..."

Terrence nods, glancing at his papers. "Right, Sah. Though I'd like to have a word with him, it it's possible, sah. He was the first to get captured because he ran on ahead of the group, wot. He probably shouldn't do that again, especially if its in the field and not just training." With a shrug of his shoulder, the corporal continues, "Or at least mention that to him, sah, if you weren't planning to already, wot."

Zolomon menwhile is told to lay down, but after a quick check up the healer decides, ok he can sit up slightly, they are taking him back to the mountain here  soon after all, he will saddly miss the rescue which does upset him.

Varus harrumps, and sighs. "Aye, You were 'is superiah, Terrence. I'd rathah y' did give 'im a dressin' down on that account, wot. Th' numbah one rule o' th' Long Patrol is ta nevah accept cheek from subordinates. Always remembah that, Corporal."

The corporal dips his head. "Yes Sah, I'll remember that. It's partially my fault as well, I was hanging back a bit and didn't go into the trees after him, wot." Terrence finishes straightening his papers, quill and ink bottle put neatly to the side, and turns towards the tent flap. "Zolomon's still here, is he, sah?"

Zolomon is here, for now sitting up slightly on one of the cots in here.

"F'r now," replies the Major. "We're sendin' 'im back this aftahnoon, wot. 'E's too injahed t' take paht in th' bloomin' rescue, so he'll be returned t' th' Mountain..."

"Right then, shall we, sah?" Terrence opens the tent flap for the older hare. "I do want to know how far apart everything is in the toad village, wot. So I might ask our private-first-class just that. If he paid attention, of course..."

Zolomon looks over at the tent flap opens and is able to do a much better saulte than yesterday, he then waits to see waht they want.

Varus moves to stand over Zolomon's cot, and he harrumps. "Private. Y' look awful, wot. Corporal Terrence 'ere wants t' have some words wi' ya..."

"Sah." Giving a quick nod to the major, Terrence comes over as well. "Private First-Class Anderson," the corporal begins, "While its all well and good you made it out of there alive, wot, I wanted to ask you a few things. Firstly," he says with as severe a look as he can manage, "Before you were captured by the toads, wot did running on ahead into the trees accomplish for you, even when your Cpl. Rosinbloom had just told Pvt. Isla to not run off, wot?"

Zolomon blinks. "It's..Zolomon..sur.....and the idea was to get the stones first....there was one private from the other team but they..just sort of backed off after when I went for the stone....didn't see or..hear anything..sur...sort of blacked out, woke in a cage."

Varus harrumps. He's doing a lot of harrumping today. "Are y' sayin' y' disobeyed a direct ordah, Private?"

"Anderson's your last name, is it not, private?" Terrence shoots back before turning towards the Major, "Admittedly, Sah, it was more of advice than an order, but he did break from the others - Isla did too, but she did come back after Felicity said it." The corporal looks at Zolomon again. "If the goal was to attack the frogs instead of getting rock, Pvt. Anderson, do you suppose rushing on ahead is all that smart?" He doesn't wait for an answer. "Even if you'd snatched the rock and not run into the toads, you should've stuck with your team and done it together, wot. Same goes for the other team's private as well, wot wot."

Zolomon frowns "I..didn't hear that..command." Maybe it was after they noticed him missing that the command was given. "Yes..sur..Anderson is my last name..."Just been a while since he heard it used, he frowns as Felicity is mentioned "The toads have Felicity and Isla too, along with Dom and couple others...sur...though Dom is separated from the other hares.

Varus nods. "Yes, I know. I read yahr report. Wot about Konner?"

Terrence bites his lip, recalling the name. "If it helps, I don't remember Konner listed among the dead, Sah, nor do I remember seeing him go down." He goes back to the private. "Anyway, Anderson, you should be very well aware you don't go do things like running off from a patrol unless ordered to, wot. If you had stayed with the rest of us perhaps you wouldn't have been captured right away, do you understand? And maybe we'd have had more of a chance against the bloody amphibians, wot, but admittedly that's just wistful thinking on my part. You need to always keep in mind those around you when on duty- they need you as much as you need them, private. Can do things more effectively that way, and safely, wot."

Zolomon one ear droops as he frowns "Yes sur..understood..sur..."He is worried, yes maybe more so than he  thinks "I hope you get the others back  sur and..that all goes..well. I  wouldn't enjoy a report that...well anyone was not alive."

Varus nods. "Well, yer safe, an' so is Felicity an' Dominik... That's wot mattahs now..."

Nodding, Terrence adds, "Yes, we already have one back safely with you, private. So that's a start, wot. Speaking of which, that other thing I wanted to ask you." The corporal looks intently at the private as he asks: "Do you remember the layout of the toad village, wot? How far the cages are from the main huts, or where they store food, or if the pens are downhill or whatnot, wot? Any bit you can tell us can help save Dom, Felicity, and Isla, and the others, too, wot."

Zolomon frowns "Felicity isnt safe, not safe yet  the toads have her and..and if I was better able sur I would rip the toads heads off...if they lay one slimy  finger on Felicty...they need stabed, stabed till they are dead."

With a raised eyebrow, Terrence gives a wry laugh. "I doubt Cpl. Felicity would let herself die so easily, wot. So don't worry about her. As for wot you said about the toads, don't worry." The corporal adds with a slight smirk, "The plan's pretty much to do just that - and rescue Corporal Felicity and the others, which you seem so choked up about," Terrence's grin grows wider, "While we're at it, wot. Also, I'd suggest not forgetting her rank, if I were you, Pvt. Anderson."

Varus nods his approval. Terrence will make a fine officer someday. In the meantime, the healers hurry him and the Corporal out of the way for now, to prepare Zolomon for his later departure.

As he exits a tent, Terrence laughs lightly, giving the major a look. "I say, I think our good private has a little crush, wot wot, sah! Though," the corporal says, in a more wistful tone, "I suppose I should cut him some slack in that regard - had one myself on the very same corporal for seasons, back when we were both privates, wot."

Varus eyes the younger buck for a moment. "I think we all 'ave, wot. I 'ad one mahself. An' 'ealah, she was... An' she's still mah wife, though she retired from active service in th' Patrol quite a few seasons ago..."

The corporal looks thoughtful for a moment. "Suppose that's true, Sah. Though in my case never did get around to mentioning it to Rosinbloom, and at this rate I don't think it'd go over well, wot, 'specially considering the current predicament." Terrence shuffles his feet, looking out towards the marsh. "Either way, the sooner we get them all back safe and sound the better, wot."

Varus mhmms, nodding his head. "Ah, well... May'aps at a latah date, Lad. But that's all I'll say on th' mattah, wot. I don't get involved in mah subordinates' love lives..."

Giving another dry chuckle, Terrence responds, "Hah, well, thank you for that, Sah. I don't really plan on doing the same, either, wot. He looks down at the ground, laughing again, "Maybe I will mention something to her when its all over... wot." The corporal says this more to himself than the major.

Varus nods his head. He well remembers being that age, many, many seasons ago. "In th'meantime, wot, we got t' plan a rescue attempt. Since we're currently low on Fightahs, I want y' there, Terrence..."

Terrence nods, glancing up. "Yes, Sah, I certainly intend to be there, wot wot. As for that plan..." The hare casts his gaze over in the general direction of the toad village. "If what Zolomon said is correct, wot, I think I've got a few more solid ideas, Sah."

Varus rubs his chin thoughtfully. He was thinking a paw-picked extraction team of a dozen or so hares, but Terrence is bright, so he wants to hear the younger hare's ideas. "Let's 'ear them."

"Well, Sah," the corporal begins, kneeling down, "The idea's to have a major distraction as a fight against the toads while another team of healers and such, with a few fighters, get the captives." Terrence uses his paw to draw in a sand. "Let's say Dom's cage is here, a little ways out form the main villager...here." A large circle for the village, and a smaller point for Dom. "And the rest of our hares are nearby, over here." Another point is put next to Dom's position, on the far side form the main village. "Ovah here, Sah," He adds a spot on the free side of the center, double the length from Dom to the Village. "Is their main food storage, were they nearly tossed Zolomon. And conveniently, Sah," The hare strike a small curved line in between the food and the rest, "There's a hill here."  Map drawn out, the corporal looks up at the Major, asking, "If there's anything I left out about the layout let me know, sah."

JUT0Leg.png

Varus shakes his head. "Not that I know of, Corporal. Carry on. The distraction is a good plan. I was thinkin' a dozen or so Fightahs, includin' those Veterans I brought th' othah night, wot..."

"Aye," Terrence nods, looking back down. "We might need a few more. The distraction is more of a full fledged battle, but I think I've got an idea to reduce losses significantly - have every hare should be armed with long spears and keep in a tight formation of at least two ranks, and keeping a group back as a reserve. There's be two distractions, really," The corporal draws I the sand again, marking the village with an 'x'. "Firstly, runners - and I mean runners, they have to be quick - go into the village and set a few huts aflame, wot. Then, after rousing the toads, they retreat over the hill where the main body of the patrollers have starts burning the food storage. The runners can't retreat fast enough so as they lose the toads, however - they need to lure them away. I suggest them using slings and javelins at range to harass the blighters, wot." He leans back, glancing up again. "The runner's have probably the most dangerous job because of that. Once the majority of toads are after the runners and over the hill, the main group can come out of hiding and engage the toads - we need to be quick about this, too, to keep as many toads stuck in fighting so as to leave the second group to go in on the far side to rescue the captives with hatchets, sah. I'd also suggest having several fighters along with them to mop up any nearby toads, wot. They'll move in once the toads are over the hill as well." Biting his lip, Terrence draws another 'x' at the captives pit. "The whole thing will require good timing, wot. That's probably the biggest problem. Oh! And as for the runners who burned the village, they should retreat to guard the flanks of the main fighting force, wot."

mayEPbG.jpg

Varus nods his head in agreement. "Right, I'll take command o' th' distraction. Most likely I'll send Gregorian t' lead the group t' free th' prisonahs, wot. I want you in that group, Terrence..."

Dipping his head in thanks, Terrence stands. "Thank you, sah. I was hoping for that, if I'm being honest, wot." Sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck, he waves down at his work. "The other problem with this, Sah, is that more than likely not all the fighting toads will leave the village, wot. If you manage to deal with them all by the food storage, maybe you can move into the actual place itself and try to continue the distraction, wot! I imagine if myself and half a score of hares have hatchets, we can make short work of the cages, eh, sah?"

Varus shakes his head. "I don't think it'll be entirely necessary, wot. Y' saw 'ow quickly the toads ran when I showed up with all th' oldest 'ares in th' Mountain. Deep down their cowahds, wot. It's entirely possible they'll turn tail and bloody well run when we send in that first group as a distraction. It is best tah be prepahred f'r anythin', though..."

"You're probably right, sah," Terrence says, shrugging, "But this is their home - I'd rather not leave the slimy beasts the time to try and use our hares as hostages, wot."

Varus mmms. "Yes. Well, it looks like you, me, 'n' Gregorian will be th' three 'ighest rankin' officahs, wot. This could be yahr chance t' distinguish yahrself."

The corporal nods slowly, understanding. "I see, sah. Can't make any promises, but I won't let you down, sah, wot! We should also have a spot to regroup once this is all over, with perhaps a small group of hares to guard it, just in case, wot. Leastways a place for my and the Sarge's group to run to once we get the captives, that is, wot."

Varus nods. "I believe this camp 'ere is where we'll regroup. It's located sufficiently fahr away from th' toad village, wot wot."

"Hmm..." Terrence grunts, saying, "Well, 'suppose that'll do then, Sah!" The corporal spares one more glance down at his drawing, and, in a grave tone, adds, "Sah, I'll take full responsibility if the plan fails, wot."

Varus harrumps. "Yes, well... If it fails, it'll likely be mah demotion, wot..."

Swallowing, Terrence says, "Well, hopefully that won't happen, sah - I might be dead at that point, though, along with the rescue team, wot. But that probably won't happen, wot wot."

Varus mhmms. "Yes indeed, Lad. We're th' bloomin' Long Patrol, though. We *won't* fail..."

"Bloody well right we are, sah!" Terrence offers a wary grin. "We won't. Leastways, not in a way we can think of now, wot!"

Varus nods his head. "Yes. I sometimes wondah that we're on shaky foundations since that mess in Mossflowah, but I think mah fears 'ave been mislaid..."

"Honestly, I've thought the same, Majah." Terrence rolls his shoulder, looking back at the tent were he left his papers and other equipment. "Well, Sah, if that's all well and good, now, I need to go collect my things before a well meaning private ends up tossing it all, wot!"

Varus nods, and casually salutes the other hare. "Right. Yahr dismissed, Corporal. Get yahr rest... We may be movin' out early tomorrah..."

Dipping his head, Terrence returns the salute with a muttered, "Thank you, Sah. I'll be sure to." Before he turns and goes to the tent.

Last edited by Ol'random (2019-10-24 10:59:12 AM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

Board footer