Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-12 10:56:17 PM

Ol'random
Website

A Foebeast in the Night - 10/12/19

This follows this log and the caravan here is the very same one John has traveled with, as mentioned here and here.

Anwir, the Monitor and various caravan spoofs by me.

Darkness had settled over Mossflower, with most beasts in bed. The pale moon had arisen only recently, judging by how close the sliver half circle was to the horizon. Its reflection danced in the river Moss, as well as the reflection of a campfire. Four carts surround it, and within those carts and close to the fire several beasts are sleeping. The only creature even close to awake was the mouse, Worrick, a heavy-set creature and co-leader of the little caravan. He had taken the squirrel's advice to heart - never sleep till some beast keep watch (though his eyes are drooping). He sits, facing the direction the road is, slumped against a sharpened stick is his makeshift spear.

Anwir was never one to  walk along the road, he choose the woods. He was drawn to the camp by the firelight and grinned. He moved on silnet footpaws as he had learned over the seasons how to move. He watches the mouse and has claws out and ready.He walked everr closer...closer...and then...he attacked! Aiming to serious injury or maybe kill the mouse, he had planed to kill  someone tonight and failed, seems the mouse won the be the replacement prize maybe.

A squeak then a choking sound ring out, the mouse falling over and desperately trying to lift his weapon - but the monitor's claws had hit Worrick's throat. The spear made a clattering sound as it banged against the cart wheel, and a few of the sleeping figures started to stir, particularly an aged hedgehog. "Eh?" He says, then calls, "Worrick? What is it?"

Anwir hisses as he looks at the hedgehog and  narrows his eyes "Pincusionzzzzzzz I ssssssso hate....your quilllszzzzz cause pain."He still has a couple in his arm, but before he likely had a couple dozen..He doenst have his tail but he is still deadly to deal with as he grins, the end of the spear is placed in the fire,"Timezzzzz to wake up!!"Yeah not the best way to wake up with a fire started in one of the wagons, hopefully not one that has beasts in it. He goes to grab the hedgehog by the throat , if he can and slam them into the back of another wagon.

The hedgehog falls back, scrambling away from the lizard, yelling out, "FOEBEAST! FOEBE-" He screams as Anwir's claws sink into him. Meanwhile, the others have stirred - a dibbun mouse started to wail in fright at the monitor lizard. His older brother, the most abled-bodied beast of the group, helps get a middle-aged squirrel matron up. "Mr MacGarran's gear's in the far cart - he left a crossbow!" The squirrel nodded, sparing a glance at the hedgehog. "You'll be alright here?" She asks. The mouse doesn't answer, instead grabbing a burning log from the fire, advancing on the lizard - he hopes to save the old hedgehog it seems. The screaming of both the hedgehog and the two beasts in the now flame engulfed cart can be heard across the river.

Anwir grins , then backs up a little  as the  log is aimed at him, he hissses "I willzzzzz have choassssss.....I losssst my chanzzzzze ealier...no matter!!" Fire he likes to start, but aimed at him is not so good a thing, and his tail is a little missing to swing the log away.

The young mouse wielding the log is not yet an adult - he is far smaller than the monitor. Henry, the young mouse, spares a glance at the hedgehog who was still struggling, letting out a gasp. "Jack!" He chokes out as the fire spreads to another cart. Tears in eye, the mouse holds the burning log with shaking paws, clearly terrified. At the far side of the camp, the squirrel matron, Raina, had managed to gather the remaining beasts - two mice a maid about a season younger her brother Henry and the screaming mouse dibbun. The others weren't to be seen. Raina fumbled in the cart for the crossbow, pulling it out. "How in the hellgates are you supposed to work this thing?" she hisses, dragging it out.

Anwir grins and swips a claw at the  fear filled mouse and chuckles coldly.He then decides to rip the  door off one of teh carts and  destory the inside, and kill anyone   who is unlucky enough to be inside the cart!.The lizard seems to enjoy the chaos, it makes up for  his lost at the abbey gates, this oddly calms  him, another chuckle.

Henry tries to jump away from the slashing claws, but they catch him and he falls with a yelp backyards into the fire. The hedgehog, Jack, has stopped moving, lying still. The cries of the dibbun mouse grow louder. Within the cart, Anwir finds another hedgehog and several tools for silversmithing. There isn't any room to dodge within the cramped space, and the hedgehog maid is killed with little trouble. A half burned squirrel with an absolutely ridiculous hat still upon his head rolls out of the first burning cart, gasping and clutching at the ground. The squirrel matron has managed to get out bolts for the crossbow now, but is struggling to load it, especially with the shriek from the mousemaid as her brother falls. Two more beasts run from the second cart the monitor had set ablaze, an older mouse and his daughter, both wielding hatchets. "OI! YOU THAR!" They call out, prepping to strike Anwir.

Anwir looks over at the mice as he exits the cart and chuckles....he hisses as it starts to rain! Not a heavy rain but  rain all the same! He  starts to circle the two with hachets, he chuckles "Thizzzzzz wassssssss fun, butz I grow..bored of thisssssss game."

The younger mouse takes a chance and swings at Anwir with all her might. Her father follows suit - but both their attacks are wild and unaimed. Raina and the other mousemaid had finally managed to load the crossbow. The squirrel raises it, looking for the monitor. The rain did nothing to put out the raging fires but cause more smoke - neither the mousemaid nor the squirrel could catch sight of the lizard.

Anwir hissses as the attack misses and he goes to claw and bite at one of the mice! It does start to rain harder, one of those  quick 5 minute downpours in autumn time, then starts to ease a little.

The brief downpour quenches both the camp fire and the second cart, but even the torrent of rain couldn't fully put out the first cart, the beasts trapped inside certainly having perished by now. Smoke bellows from the camp. "Can you see him?!" The mouse maid asks Raina frantically, lining to her little brother who was still wailing. The ax-wielding father fell back screaming as the sharp claws bit his arm and teeth sink into his shoulder. "GER'OFFIM!" His daughter, a wild look in her eye, swings the hatchet at the monitor even more wildly. "Not...yet..." Raina responds to the mouse, scanning the smoke obscured space, her ears picking up the noise of the fight.

Anwir hissses and ends up killing another beast with a laugh and hiss, he backs up from the hatchet and sees...the mouses father as he grins and leaps at him!

The daughter crumples to the ground, throat pierced by swipe of Anwir's claws, and her father's eyes go wide in horror as the monitor leaps at him. Just then, due to a slight shift of the wind and thus the smoke, as well as the still burning cart outlining both lizard and mouse, the squirrel matron finally finds her target. Finger on the crossbow's trigger and one eye closed, she looses the bolt, her aim surprisingly decent. "TAKE THAT!" She can't help but call out into the night.

Anwir hissses as the crossbolt slids across his side as he hissses inpain and stumbles and falls just before he gets to the mouse.Blood drips as he has a large gash, his eyes narrow at the mouse who he lets live as he quickly goes into the woods

Eyes wide and breathing heavily, the wounded mouse rolls over to watch the monitor disappear into the dark. The squirrel and mousemaid rush over to help him, with the latter crying out, "Uncle! Are you...?" The young mouse stops as she sees the body of her cousin, letting out a sob. Raina, for her part, picks up the hatchet from the fallen mouse, ready to strike if the lizard thinks to come back, telling the crying mousemaid, "See if you can't get Abe up and help me check who's still..." She swallows, "...Left..."

By the time the sunrise had risen in the east, the dead had been piled on a pyre, with the black smoke lifting high into the morning sky.
Out of the twelve or so beasts that made up the small caravan, only four remained. Having gathered up all that could be scavenged from the ruined camp and placed it all within one of the two remaining carts, they started their journey south towards Redwall Abbey.

OOC Note: If anyone wants some slightly pre-made NPCs/Alts/Spoofs to 'adopt', feel free to page #mail John to let me know!

Last edited by Ol'random (2019-10-12 10:59:53 PM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#2 2019-10-13 12:07:54 PM

Elbio Hare and Alts

Re: A Foebeast in the Night - 10/12/19

Maybe list which ones are still alive...so  people know smile Like species...age...name

I play
Elbio-LP Hare
Vilfred-LOG-A-LOG

#3 2019-10-14 10:58:21 AM

Ol'random
Website

Re: A Foebeast in the Night - 10/12/19

Elbio Hare and Alts wrote:

Maybe list which ones are still alive...so  people know smile Like species...age...name

Fair point - here they are!
Mala
A mousemaid whose father is now dead Worrick Age: around 7 seasons

The mouse dibbun
Mala's little brother. Age: around 2 seasons

Rena
A squirrel; Worrick and her were the leaders of the merchant caravan. Age: Around 17 seasons

Abe
Mala's and the Dibbun's maternal uncle. Age: 19 seasons

Feel free to change details like names and age to one's preference if someone wants them and let me know in-game smile

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

Board footer